|UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON CHAPTER PROFILE
UH NABA is one of the premier student organizations in the C.T. Bauer College of Business. Our mission is to
- Promote and develop the professional skills of our members
- Encourage and assist minority students in entering the accounting profession
- Provide opportunities for members to fulfill their civic responsibility
- Ensure long-term financial stability and provide adequate resources to implement
chapter, regional, and national programs
- Represent the interests of current and prospective minority accounting professionals
Our organization is one of the most successful and fast growing Bauer
organizations because we guide our members towards success. Our chapter
opportunities are listed below:
NABA Network and Community:
Membership in the UH Chapter of NABA will also give
you access to students and professionals that have the same goals and aspirations as you.
Surrounding yourself around success will only help you gain your individual success.
We are more than just a student organization, we are a NABA family that looks out for
We host general meetings throughout the semester to communicate
information vital to member success and upcoming chapter events like student conferences,
UH Rockwell Career Center presentations, joint-events with other chapters, NABA Scholarships
and elections, etc...
Attire is casual and light food and refreshments are served.
These are meetings with professionals that give members the
opportunity to network with UH NABA corporate sponsors and really learn more about their
specific business and employment opportunities available. In addition, professionals give
a meaningful presentation over various topics that include but not limited to resume building,
professional networking, recruiting timeline and tips, transition from student to professional,
Attire is Business Casual and light food and refreshments are served.
Internships & Full Time Emplyment:
In addition to presenting at professional meetings,
our corporate sponsors share opportunities for internship and full time employment with
active UH NABA members. Last year alone, (12) UH NABA members received internship offers
from various companies and firms.
Our organization works hard to reach success and we play hard as well.
Throughout the semester there will be opportunities to network and have fun with your
fellow members through game nights, bowling socials in the arcade, restaurant dinning,
Dave and Busters, etc...In addition, we plan to have social events like dodge-ball
and volleyball with some of our corporate sponsors.
Looking to give back? Let UH NABA help you "Lift as you climb" and
give back to your community. We plan to organize meaningful events like "NABA Big Give",
Houston Food Bank Drives, volunteer programs at the Children's Museum, etc...
Study w/ NABA:
At the beginning of the year, our organization surveys and collects
data on the classes that members would like to start a study group for. Once the info is
collected, UH NABA designates officers or member led committees to plan the study groups.
UH NABA gives each new member the opportunity to be paired up with
a NABA member or officer that has been in NABA for at least a semester. This mentor will
be someone that can give advice on how to dress appropriately in professional meetings,
how to communicate with recruiters, etc... Furthermore, your mentor will be someone that
you will be able to relate to and hang out with outside of NABA.
Members have the opportunity to gain leadership experience through member
led committees in social, volunteer, fundraising, and "NABA Mentors" programs. In addition
to being a great a resume builder, these positions will help distinguish you as an active
member and a leader in our organization. In addition to member-led committees, we have officer
elections every spring.
History of the Houston Metropolitan Chapter
Through the efforts of Vera Jackson, the Houston organizers became acquainted with the newly-formed NABA and found that the two bodies shared similar interests. Dedicated to the purpose for which NABA stands, the Houston Metropolitan Chapter has undertaken a broad range of projects. Among these are:
- publication of articles on accounting related subjects;
- free income tax assistance to low income taxpayers;
- establishment of a speakers bureau;
- accounting resources to support the UNCF telethon and walk-a-thon;
- assistance with administering the Uniform CPA Examination;
- an " Income Tax Tips " program for local radio broadcasting;
- participation in high school career day programs;
- establishment and administration of a scholarship fund for high school and college level accounting and business students; and
- formation of student chapters at the University of Houston, Texas Southern University, Prairie View A&M University, Texas A&M University, and Sam Houston State University.
Additionally, the chapter hosted several Western Region Student Conferences and National Conventions. Over the years, many Houston members have taken an active role nationally, assuming various positions, including directorships, regional officers and committee chairpersons.